Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Gather data about the community using websites along with various informants in the agency or neighborhood. You can use government census data, national data for particular populations, and local/community websites around specific areas of interest.
- What is the ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic make up of the community and the agency in which you are placed?
- What is the fiscal budget for public education in this area? How does it compare to budgets of other areas?
- What are the concerns, if any, relative to environmental justice for this community?
- If a client has a medical need, where is the closest health center/hospital? Is this health center/hospital accessible? Does it offer culturally and linguistically appropriate services?
- If a client has a housing and/or food related need, what services are available and accessible? How far would a client need to travel to access fresh food?
- If a client needs to access childcare and/or elder care services, what is available and accessible?
Resources for Government Data & Statistics
Make-up of the Community
Boston Indicators Project
This resource is so useful, you may find yourself reading more and more just for fun! Start with Community Snapshots and then explore the tools, data and other resources.
National Center for Education Statistics
A wonderful resources for education statistics from across the country.
Boston Public Schools: Facts & Figures
These facts and figures (including budgets) are generated by the BPS system, about the system.
Mass. Dept. of Education: Statistical Reports
Use these reports for information on enrollment, graduation, exclusions, state profiles and more.
Mass. Dept. of Education: School/District Profiles
These profiles include information on all types of organizations - private, alternate, public, and more.
The Health of Boston
An annual BPHC report, this health equity and demographics by Boston neighborhood. In addition to the full pdf report, there are interactive maps and data by neighborhood.
HRSA: Find a Health Center
Find HRSA-supported Health Centers in your community using this tool through the US Dept. of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration.
Boston HealthNet Community Health Centers
Looking for community health centers in Boston? These are the centers affiliated with BMC.
The MBTA shares real-time vehicle tracking data with developers, so there are many app options for trip planning and bus/train tracking. These may help you get a feel for neighborhood transportation challenges.
SimplyAnalytics has all the data you need to answer key research questions and understand the socio-demographic and economic conditions of Boston and any geographic area in the United States.