Gather data about the community using websites along with various informants in the agency or neighborhood. You can use government census data, national data for particular populations, and local/community websites around specific areas of interest.
- What is the ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic make up of the community and the agency in which you are placed?
- What is the fiscal budget for public education in this area? How does it compare to budgets of other areas?
- What are the concerns, if any, relative to environmental justice for this community?
- If a client has a medical need, where is the closest health center/hospital? Is this health center/hospital accessible? Does it offer culturally and linguistically appropriate services?
- If a client has a housing and/or food related need, what services are available and accessible? How far would a client need to travel to access fresh food?
- If a client needs to access childcare and/or elder care services, what is available and accessible?