Dictionary and Encyclopedia Reference Question Assignment
All questions are answerable using the “Source List of Selected Reference Titles” which has been given to you. All sources are available in the Beatley Library Reference Collection.
For this assignment, use only the print sources listed on the Source List.
Working in pairs you are to answer all questions on the list; searching skills are developed through practice. You will be asked to answer the questions and to give the source you used to find the answer by title, then volume if applicable, and page number(s).
HAVE FUN! FINDING ANSWERS IS ADDICTING
Source List of Selected Reference Titles in the Beatley Library: Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Anchor Bible Dictionary
Beatley Ref. BS440 .A54 1992
Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians
Beatley Ref. ML105 .B16 2001
Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia
Beatley Ref. PN41. B4 1996
Black's Law Dictionary
Beatley Ref. KF156 .B53 1990
Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable
Beatley Ref. PN43 .B75 1999
Dictionary of American Biography
Beatley Ref. E176 .D56
Dictionary of American English on Historical Principles
Beatley Ref. PE2835 .C72
Dictionary of American History
Beatley Ref. E174 .D52 2003
Dictionary of American Regional English
Beatley Ref. PE2843 .D52 1985
Dictionary of Modern English Usage
Beatley Ref. PE1628 .F65 1991
Beatley Ref. DS102.8 .E49
Encyclopedia of Bioethics
Beatley Ref. QH332 .E56 2004
Beatley Ref. Z1006 .E57 2010
Encyclopedia of Religion
Beatley Ref. BL31 .E46 2005
Eponyms Dictionaries Index
Beatley Ref. PE1596 .E64 1977
Harvard Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Groups
Beatley Ref. E184.A1 H35
International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Science
Beatley Ref. H41 .I58 2001
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms
Beatley Ref. Q123 .M15 2003
McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
Beatley Ref. Q121.M3 2007
New Dictionary of American Slang
Beatley Ref. PE3729.U5 W4 1986
New Encyclopaedia Britannica
Beatley Ref. AE5 .E363 2007
New Grove Dictionary of American Music
Beatley Ref. ML101.U6 N48 2001
New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
Beatley Ref. ML100 .N48
New Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments
Beatley Ref. ML102.15 .N48 1991
New Harvard Dictionary of Music
Beatley Ref. ML100 .A64 1986
New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics
Beatley Ref. HB61 .N49 2008
New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics
Beatley Ref. PN1021 .N39 1993
Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
Beatley Ref. PE1625 .O87 1989
Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology, and Legend
Beatley Ref. GR35 .F82 1984
Webster’s New Dictionary of Synonyms
Beatley Ref. PE 1591 .W4 1968
Webster's Third New International Dictionary of the English Language
Beatley Ref. PE1625 .W36 1986
Created by L. Allen Smith, revised by Linda Watkins
Reference Questions for LIS 407
1. According to a survey conducted by the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association, by 1975 how many US prisoners were the first humans on whom the safety of new drugs was tested?
3. According to Alexander H. Krappe, which English antiquarian coined the term folklore in 1846?
4. What song did Charles Aznavour write for Edith Piaf?.
5. Can you find a 3 or 4 sentence summary of the novel Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert? Give the first sentence.
6. What did the father of John Harvard, for whom Harvard College is named, do for a living? What did John Do?
7. List 3 words beginning with the letter S that are similar to the meaning of lurk.
8. Can you find a 1670 entry on the word librarian? What was the Librarian’s job in that year?