You can access SciENcv a number of ways. The easiest is by going to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sciencv/ and selecting “Click here to start!” You can also access SciENcv via the NCBI’s My NCBI portal, or by going to PubMed and selecting the “Sign in to NCBI” link at the top right of the screen.
My NCBI is a tool designed for multiple purposes across the NCBI system, including saving and customizing NCBI database searches and creating bibliographies of your own work, in addition to housing the SciENcv system, so if you’re not familiar with My NCBI, finding SciENcv once you’re in My NCBI can be a bit tricky. For most users, the SciENcv box will default to the bottom right corner of your screen, but if you have customized your My NCBI account before, it may be located elsewhere.
1. Using your web browser, go to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sciencv/ and select “Click here to start!”
2. Select ”See more 3rd party sign in options”: scroll down to select ORCID to log in using your ORCID credentials.
3. You will be given the option to create a new MyNCBI account or link your google account to an existing MyNCBI account.
4. You’ll see a screen entitled “My NCBI” - this is your landing page for managing tools within the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
The easiest way to populate your SciENcv biosketch is through an ORCID iD. If you do not yet have an ORCID iD, go to the "ORCID" page of this guide to get started. When you’re ready to link your ORCID iD with SciENcv, go back to your My NCBI account and sign in again (if you are logged out) and follow steps 1-4 in the Accessing SciENcv tab on this page.
1. Once you see your My NCBI landing page, you should see your username in the upper right corner. Select your username.
2. Use the Change button under Linked Accounts to add your ORCID account.
3. Select "Change" and then search for ORCID.
4. Select ORCID under "Login Account Options," then enter your ORCID username and password, and authorize it. You should now see your ORCID account listed in your Linked Accounts.
5. Select "My NCBI" in the top right corner. You are now ready to go to SciENcv!
*Information credit to Stony Brook University Libraries' "Creating and Using Your ORCID Profile: Linking to NIH/NSF Biosketches"
To create a new biosketch using your ORCID information, go back to your SciEncv account, sign in if you are not already signed in, and follow these steps:
Remember that the more you fill in your ORCID profile, the more you will be able to pull automatically into SciENcv when you create a biosketch.