You can access SciENcv a number of ways. The easiest is by going to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sciencv/ and selecting “Click here to start!” You can also access SciENcv via the NCBI’s My NCBI portal, or by going to PubMed and selecting the “Sign in to NCBI” link at the top right of the screen.
My NCBI is a tool designed for multiple purposes across the NCBI system, including saving and customizing NCBI database searches and creating bibliographies of your own work, in addition to housing the SciENcv system, so if you’re not familiar with My NCBI, finding SciENcv once you’re in My NCBI can be a bit tricky. For most users, the SciENcv box will default to the bottom right corner of your screen, but if you have customized your My NCBI account before, it may be located elsewhere.
1. Using your web browser, go to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sciencv/ and select “Click here to start!”
2. Select ”See more 3rd party sign in options”: scroll down to select ORCID to log in using your ORCID credentials.
3. You will be given the option to create a new MyNCBI account or link your google account to an existing MyNCBI account.
4. You’ll see a screen entitled “My NCBI” - this is your landing page for managing tools within the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
The easiest way to populate your SciENcv biosketch is through an ORCID iD. If you do not yet have an ORCID iD, go to the "ORCID" page of this guide to get started. When you’re ready to link your ORCID iD with SciENcv, go back to your My NCBI account and sign in again (if you are logged out) and follow steps 1-4 in the Accessing SciENcv tab on this page.
1. Have your ORCID account set-up with publications and other information as you choose.
2. Go to www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov (or to PubMed)
3. You will see "Sign in to NCBI" on the top right corner.
4. Select a method to sign in. If you don't have an NCBI Account, register for one.
5. If you sign in directly to NCBI, you will see your username on the top right corner.
6. Click on your username.
7. Use the Change button under Linked Accounts to add your ORCID account.
8. Click on "Change" and then search for ORCID.
9. Select it, enter your ORCID username and password, and authorize it. Then you should see your ORCID account listed in your Linked Accounts.
10. Log out of NCBI
11. Log back into NCBI but use your ORCID account to do so. From the "Sign In" page, click on "See more 3rd party sign in options."
12. Search for ORCID in the list.
13 Click on ORCID and it will take you to ORCID. Select, "Sign In."
14. Enter your ORCID email and password.
15. When that's done, you'll be logged in to My NCBI and returned to the NCBI account.
16. Click on "My NCBI" in the top right corner.
You are ready to go to SciENcv.
*Information credit to Stony Brook University Libraries' "Creating and Using Your ORCID Profile: Linking to NIH/NSF Biosketches"
To create a new biosketch using your ORCID information, go back to your SciEncv account, sign in if you are not already signed in, and follow these steps:
Remember that the more you fill in your ORCID profile, the more you will be able to pull automatically into SciENcv when you create a biosketch.